Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fandango

I have been going through some of my collection of DVDs lately and last night I watched Fanango. It is a story about a group of college graduates and one drop-out who upon graduation take a road trip adventure through some of the more desolate parts of Texas. It is full of humour and though classed as a road trip movie (and know where near as crass as Road Trip) it has some wonderful moments in it.

One of the best sequences involves Truman Sparks piloting his clapped out Cessna 182 to Houston to pick up one of the character's fiance so they can be married. The sequence is a pretty amazing compilation of aerobatics from an aircraft not initially designed to do aerobatics. Having worked on the 182 I can attest to its reputation of being like the Oldsmobile of the sky. Until seeing this film I never thought anyone could wring this type of performance out of such a plane.

The sequence:



Oh, and the addition of Born to be Wild by the Canadian band Steppenwolf helps too!

There is actually related to stockings or hose here though... Really!

Suzy Amis (Titanic) plays the fiance and she dances with Gardner, her former lover in what must have been a bittersweet moment for both of them. First, I love Suzy Amis. She is not a blockbuster actress but she has an ethereal quality to her looks. It is hard to define for you unless you have seen her in this movie but their dance symbolizes Gardner and her shared love for each other when they were dating. He even keeps a bandanna of hers offers it to her as they first connect during their dance. The dancing is what intimate dancing is for me and I have been privileged to dance that way with a woman I love. There is a connection made between two people when they dance that closely and this part of the film portrays this well. At least for me, exactly what it feels and moves like.



Oh yes...the legs. It is hard to see in the YouTube video but Suzy Amis legs are wonderful and clad in virginal white hose.


Suzy Amis on left

1 comment:

  1. I've never seen this. I'm definitely intrigued by it now. Hope you're having a wonderful week so far. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails